Monday, July 28, 2008

Cities M7 Marathon 08

This time last year, I was nervously awaiting my first marathon on this very course.....

WOW! It was cold! Below freezing at the start, with a nice layer of frost everywhere. The portable gas heaters that everyone crowded around were wonderful. It was funny to see a bunch of 'underdressed for the cold' people, standing huddled in the dark under some heaters, reluctant to move to the start line til the last second.

With only 137 starters, this race thins out quickly for me, and within 1km, I was running alone. I began to question my sanity even then. 42.2k is a long way on your own. I hate to DNF though and would rather be last than pull out when I know I can finish.

I spent about 10k trying to run with good 'form'. Lately I have noticed how much I lean forward when I run, possibly due to watching the ground to make sure I don't step on/in anything sharp or nasty. I tried to stay upright, chin up, arms swinging parallel and lifting my heels. I was told to imagine riding a unicycle while running... which worked remarkably well.

At 11km with no company in sight, I pulled out the ipod, figuring it might pass a bit of time. Just then Steve, the original Barefoot, tapped me on the shoulder and said hi. I was surprised to see him, figuring he would be in front of me. He had missed the start and was cruising through the field as he ran. He opted, graciously, to run with me for a while.


I have never run with another person in a marathon race for more than a few kms, so this was fun. He stayed with me, chatting and encouraging me along with bits of advice until 21.1k. He said (and rightly so) that it was hard to do the entire race completely alone. Just quietly, it also made me move faster than I would have alone. After he left, I was happy to keep plodding knowing I was half way there already.

The next 14k were uneventful, though I slowed a bit. I worried about the cut off a few times, but recalculating in my head figured I'd still make it. Once again form became an issue, with my left hip and knee starting to hurt quite a lot. Still it wasn't bad enough to stop, though I don't think my limping gait was helping me much! The day never seemed to warm up either and my feet were cold for the whole race. I think I didn't even feel my toes until about 25k. I only did half of this race barefoot, the other half in Five Fingers.

At about 35k something switched on in my head. I don't even know what. Perhaps it was that there was only 7k left. Maybe it was the caffiene laced gel I sucked down. I may have even found the inner 'agro' that I need to bring out much earlier in long runs. Whatever it was, I picked the pace up and began to overtake the stragglers. Each person passed spurred me on. I really enjoyed this part of the run and was even slightly disappointed when I was near the end with no left to chase. That sounds very egocentric, even as I type it now, but it was a new feeling for me.

Again I broke no records today. It was my 6th marathon in 12 months. Possibly too many for this body so soon. But what a ride!! I'm loving the long distances, pushing myself, learning as I go. Already looking forward to the next one.....

3 comments:

keith said...

amazing job!! your body will let you know when enough's enough...ya just gotta listen.

RunBare said...

Thanks Keith, I tend to ignore that 'voice' and push on. I'll listen carefully though, I want to still be doing this decades from now.

Michael Bedward said...

Number six - well done ! It's a great achievement - all the more because you've run them all your way.