Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Nail Can Hill Victoria


There's nothing quite like a 6 hour drive on Saturday evening with 4 kids in the back, to get to the start of an 11.5k bush fire trail run!


OK, so we were headed to Albury for the weekend anyway and this looked like a nice way to spend a bit of time on the Sunday morning.


It was cold cold cold at the start and standing around in the chicken feet didn't do anything to warm me up. Gloves, long shirts and buffs were the order of the day. Both my girls, Sara and Alana came with me for the run and we met a couple of local Cool Runners while waiting for the start.


A large hill took up the first 5k of the course (hence the name of the run) and the girls and I ran/walked this section. At this point, both girls waved me on to run, saying they'd catch me up later.


The rest of the run was a lovely downhill section on graded fire trails. It was a good chance to test out the five fingers and see how well they gripped the road/rocks on a faster descent. All fine, no mishaps and not once even felt they were going to slip.


I finished in around 80mins, a nice easy pace that I could happily have continued on with for many more km.


I do feel slightly more confident about The North Face 100k in 10 days time. My body has been tired and sore, so I've rested a lot and not done the usual daily runs, opting for only about 3 a week. I worry that I'll lose a lot of fitness doing this, but I really had no choice. I'm feeling good again, and looking forward to the challenge coming up.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tapering is legitimate training. Rest is an essential ingredient in good performance. Give the inner critic a kick up the arse with those fivefingers!