Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Revelations

I came to some conclusions yesterday. I did some hill training and felt so good, I ran a bit more. Then I just was done. This meant that for the month of March, I'd run 247k. I wanted it to be 250k up till that point.

But I realised I'm a runner, I'll go again tomorrow, and the next day and the next. 3k extra to make up 250/300k for the month won't change my chance of lining up at a 100mile race later this year. And trying to impress others with a 'huge' total won't make me any better, or heighten my enjoyment of running. It's about the happiness, simplicity, satisfaction in your emotional life :)

Only Six Foot Track and one other trail run was in 5Fingers, so 192k barefoot this month. I also realised last night, that I have not worn shoes (except 5F's) to run at all this year. 544k, with 175k in slippers :) all the rest totally barefoot.

We have wide strong feet for a reason. They are meant to CARRY us, walking or running. Shoes can be pretty, but I don't think they help our bodies work better. I feel stronger now, and more in control of my running.

And if it makes me stronger, why go back to the weaker way? I'm still being asked when I'll go back to running in shoes. never...

When I finish a run, people always ask how my feet are. Even a long run, they only ask about my feet. My feet are great, strong, no pain, brilliant. My muscles hurt though, and I'm tired... the same as everyone else. But not injured.

If my whole body felt as good as my feet, I'd never stop running.


5 comments:

tim said...

that pic makes me laugh. You know I think you may be on to something.

RunBare said...

a 'heavy' topic needs a light funny pic :) it makes me laugh too. who let me in that race???

Unknown said...

I've been reading your posts. I am just a casual fitness only runner and can't imagine doing some of the runs you've done. My hat's off to you! You did mention in one of your posts that you were looking for something that would give you some foot protection but without the chafing of the Vibrams. You might check "Barefoot Ted's" site: http://barefootted.com/2007/05/bfts-huarache-running-sandals-kits-and.html. They are running sandals used by the Tarahumara indians of Mexico. They do ultramarathons in them. Just a thought. Keep inspiring the rest of us! Doug Campbell, Nampa, Idaho, USA.

Anonymous said...

Nice pic. Looks familiar ;-)

RunBare said...

A really great photographer, famed for capturing the essence of runners, took this one :)