Sunday, January 4, 2009

Fats Festive Fat Ass 08

There is nothing quite like the enthusiasm of a new runner.

I told Scott that there was Fat Ass run on while I was in Brisbane. 58k up and down Mt Nebo. He was keen. I told him perhaps we should not do QUITE the full 58k, since I'm about as fit as wounded asthmatic hippo.

We settled on doing 21k, much further than I thought sensible, given his first time at either this distance or this type of terrain.

The day before, I introduced Scott to the joy of buying gear as we hunted down a camelback. It should be explained that Scott doesn't wear shoes to run, either on road or trails. So he zip tied his shoes to back of the camelback, 'just in case'.

I imagine we looked the most riduculous pair at the start. Me in Five Fingers and Scott barefoot. I caught up with some wonderful friends at the start, including Lorna, who was up from Sydney.

We started off slowly, knowing that the first half would be basically a climb, and the return trip mostly downhill. The weather was cool and drizzly and the scenery gorgeous. We chatted as we ran, counting off the km until we reached 11k, Scotts longest run thus far.

I had forgotten how exciting it is to reach new territory in a run. Each km after that he got more excited, realising by the time we returned he would have finished a half marathon distance.

It took us slightly over 3 hours to get back to car, Scott took off for a sprint for the last 500m.

Boundless optimism and new found wonder rubs off. I'm ready for 2009 and some new goals.

Thanks mate :)

No comments: