Monday, March 17, 2008

Backing up with SMC

This was never going to be easy. A 30km run at Sydney Marathon Clinic a week after the Six Foot Track. But if I want to run ultras and finish in the cut off times, I have to keep pushing.

I felt quite good until about 15km, when frankly I ran out of gas. Nothing hurt. My joints and muscles felt great, but I was just tired. Notions of laying down on the road and having a nap kept popping into my head (I'm sure I've seen someone do that somewhere??)

It was about this point that my good friend and often running mate starting keeping me company. He encouraged me/growled at me/told me to stop being slack/ encouraged me again, right through to the end. Thanks so much. He had also done the 6Foot Track the weekend before, so we chatted about this while running.

I find the looped courses so hard mentally. I hate running past the finishing line 2 or 3 times and knowing its not the end. Still it's a good challenge.

I wore the Five Fingers again for this one. By the end I longed to have my feet back on the gound, feeling the little rocks and the grass, the change in surface every so often. I miss barefoot when I need to wear shoes.

No comments: