Monday, November 19, 2007

SMC November

It's almost CR SMC these days! I love going out here each month to catch up with everyone. I wish I could run faster, so I could chat to more people at the end.

Saw Belinda, Horrie and Tim before the start, as well as Johny Dark, Space Cowboy and others. Intoduced myself to Whippet gal at the start line, after double checking to make sure it was indeed her!

Caught up with Spud and sailaway briefly before the gun went off. There seemed to be so many in the half today, which is great for the series. It did mean however, more people to beat me to the line!! Caught up briefly with Blue Dog during and after the race. He was taking some photos out on the course, and as luck would have it, snapped me staggering up a hill. Shame I wasn't looking my usual 'magazine model' self ;)

Every second person passing me/lapping me seemed to be someone I know, which was great. What a fabulous community this is.


I came an inglorious last today. I started off ok, but by 10km I was feeling pretty shocking. The 75k from last weekend was biting me on the arse, unlike others who seem to be able to do this type of thing constantly! I guess I'll improve with time. Space Cowboy caught up with me before 2km, and very kindly ran/walked with me to the end. You are indeed a gracious person and a good friend.

By about 12/13k my knees began to protest the notion of holding me upright. I guess it was all the downhill pounding last weekend, but I'm not good at knowing when to throw the towel in, so carried on. Even when the SES guys offered me a lift with about 1km to go.... they don't understand about DNF I guess.

Finished feeling a bit less than brilliant, I don't think the sports drink agrees with me, but after some watermelon all returned to normal.

Both my girls ran today with Alana in the 5k and Sara in the 10k, having done 10k last weekend at Fishers Ghost. I am so proud of both of them. Sara is taking to the challenge of the longer races with enthusiasm and drive (and she tells me she wasn't last today hehehe) so she beat me. Two of the other competitors 'ran her' to the finish line when she was tiring, which was really awesome, she appreciated it a lot.

No comments: